[atrt2] Another possible task for a outside expert - ICANN whistleblowing and employee morale

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Sun May 19 15:15:25 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thanks for all this info.  It is a good start.

As for what more I think the ATRT Outside Expert would look into, I would start with the need for the ICANN community  to know:

- Do all employees know about hotline. E.g. are there signs up in the cafeteria encouraging employees to use the hotline?
- Do employees think that it is an effective mechanism? Why or why not?
- Do employees feel safe using this mechanism? Why or why not?
- Have any hotline reporting employees been discovered and disciplined (or had coincidental bad performance reviews)?

Other issues:

- How many hotline issue are recorded each year?
- What are the categories of employee concern?
- How have these been handled, specifically?
- What dispositions?
- Have any resulted in management changes or the creation of new internal policies?

As I argued above, while the person making the hotline comment should be protected, once the comment is verified, that target of the comment should be treated transparently.  Secret processing of whistleblower complaints is non processing.

As for this cronyism charge, I understood it had more to do with current practice within the staff than with hiring practice.

avri