[atrt2] PDP Effectiveness Study

Carlos Raúl Gutierrez carlosraul.gutierrez at sutel.go.cr
Fri Jun 21 15:00:03 UTC 2013

Dear Alan,

please rewind the recordings of the ATRT2  - GAC meeting in Beijing and pay close attention the comments of the Australian, Italian and UK representatives. Every Governmental complain on this issues is on that record and I don't want to repeat them! Because of the reasons mentioned there, GAC has been, for all practical purposes, EXCLUDED from the Policy Development Process. So the results of respective ATRT1 recommendation (#6) are dismal! Even the late efforts to try to make a semantic separation between "Policy vs. Implementation" have not been fully analyzed in ATRT2 yet.

The way I look at process is rather simple:

1. GAC may or may not give input to the process, because of its many many constraints (too few meetings, too technical approaches of the PDPD, lack of a fully independent secretariat, etc. etc. etc....). We may have to analyze the PDP closely with or without GAC, because
2. GAC advices the board when they have to decide on PDP proposals (and not necessarily earlier)
3. If constituents (Governments included) do not like, and do not embrace Boards decisions, we are in deep trouble
[4. if on top, public comments periods on particular technical issues, go about blank without any public comments, it looks even worse]

If your proposal for external expert (which I fully support and gave #1 priority) does not consider those "dynamics" and the "broader picture", including a differentiated approach to each SO/AC role along the public comment windows, then I´m afraid it will remain another navel-gazing exercise and pretty ineffective for the purposes of ATRT2.

Another issues I would like to comment on are the following
I strongly prefer to use the full term "GNSO-PDP", as it has been this denomination the one that GAC has been working with ICANN over the last few meetings at least
I also would like to suggest a clearer title, something like "on the accountability and transparency of the PDP" so everybody knows what to expect from the report.
As far as GAC, and based on Michaels comments, we may have to discuss if this is one of the chapters of the study, or a whole new separate issue for discussion (or both)

In any case please send me the actual draft we are discussing as of today with track changes, so I can see the whole forest again and spend some more time on it this weekend.

Best regards

Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
carlosraulg at gmail.com
Skype carlos.raulg