[atrt2] Fwd: [GAC] .vin and .wine leter from Linda Corugedo Steneberg to Heather Dryden

Fiona Alexander FAlexander at ntia.doc.gov
Fri Sep 20 12:15:22 UTC 2013

Hi Carlos

Just so folks have a more fulsome picture, the United States doesn't share the same views as the EC in terms of the process concerns re the disposition of these two strings by the GAC. While of course we agree there is great potential to improve how the GAC works internally and with the rest of the ICANN community one the major items, at least in my opinion, the GAC is now struggling with is what to do if there is no consensus. As one of many actors within the ICANN model, it's GAC consensus that ends up having a meaningful impact. If the GAC can't come to consensus the rest of the community can't be held hostage indefinitely and that lack of consensus has to be communicated. The trend of always wanting to "blame" the messenger, the GAC chair, is more than troubling in my opinion.

In this case, the issue at hand, geographic indicators, has been the subject of someone unsuccessful intergovernmental negotiation for many years so I'm unclear how the DNS is supposed to fix that problem.

Perhaps all of this is a little to in the weeds of GAC internal discussions to discuss more fully on the ATRT2 list, but I thought some context might be useful for the others.

Fiona