[atrt2] Preparation for Buenos Aires

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Oct 26 04:01:19 UTC 2013

Avri,

On Oct 25, 2013, at 8:50 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> So perhaps I loss my vote by not having been at a meeting I should have been at, but if others thinks we need to more, perhaps we need to consider it.

I personally don't think it is worth the time/resources/effort. I think it far more valuable to spend the time talking to individual constituencies, SOs, ACs, etc.

However, with that said, as a future consideration, we might want to recommending to the next ATRT that they might consider having "office hours" or similar (maybe sharing space with the ombudsman?) at ICANN meetings, where individuals can come to raise issues/ask questions.

> Also I think it may be a mistake to not have a public session at BA.  Might give the appearance that we are hiding.

Given the participation at previous public sessions, I disagree -- I suspect the appearance would be more of wasting non-trivial resources.

> While it is good to get a good size crowd of participants, it is important to be accessible to the community as part of our own accountability - we have to be available to the flight of incoming tomatoes even if one a few people come to talk.

I think we've been pretty open that individual members can be approached at any time.  I don't think a public session in which transcripts are taken and multiple translations provided in a large (almost certainly) empty auditorium is the best venue in which people will come "to talk" which, in the context of ATRT, is usually to raise issues that some consider sensitive or controversial.

I believe we'll get far more tomatoes (and cupcakes ... or whatever the positive opposite of tomatoes would be) in the constituency/SO/AC sessions or in individual one-on-one sessions.

> One problem with only meeting with the SO/AC is that it misses the large part of population who are not part of of these organizations, including any newcomers there may be.

And newcomers who don't participate in any SO/AC are going to feel comfortable commenting on ATRT recommendations?

Regards,
-drc