[atrt2] Preliminary Staff Assessment/Response to ATRT2 Draft Recommendations

Denise Michel denise.michel at icann.org
Sat Dec 7 00:14:21 UTC 2013

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your email. The initial staff responses are intended to be
constructive (not negative) and to help improve the final report and
implementation of adopted recommendations.  I hope ATRT2 members will
consider them in this context.

Staff previously had committed to provide this input by Dec. 9 and
submitted it earlier given the tight timeline ATRT2 is using. Staff’s
response is reflective of the extensive scope of the ATRT2 work, analysis
and draft recommendations, and involved about 20 staff from 9 departments.
In order to properly consider feasibility, implementability and
advisability of the recommendations, staff undertook detailed analysis, in
large measure to be able to have fruitful dialogue with the Review Team
*prior* to the issuance of the final report and recommendations (which was
our shared goal). (Unfortunately, this had to be done during the busiest
time of year for staff -- ICANN's annual meeting). While we understand the
ATRT2's desire to adhere to a tight schedule, and while we remain concerned
about the feasibility of this timeline (as has been stated on several
occasions), helping the ATRT2 issue a final report this year continues to
be a staff priority. We hope several staff/ATRT2 discussions can occur next
week on the topics identified by staff.

I would like to clarify the reason for staff’s suggestion that several of
the recommendations be characterized as observations.  ICANN has
acknowledged the importance of these findings and is making a commitment to
provide ongoing reporting and progress updates, including milestones and
deliverables to inform the community.  Staff is not in agreement with your
characterization that the work “will not entail significant additional
staff effort.”  That has not been staff's experience with ATRT
recommendations. The additional effort is comprised of work by the Board
and community, as well as staff;  it will entail Board consideration,
ongoing public consultations, tracking, reporting, and ultimately
assessment by the subsequent Review Team in addition to the tracking and
reporting of work already underway.  The updates provided to the ATRT2
during the past year on the progress of 71 recommendations (ATRT1 – 27;
WHOIS RT – 17; SSR RT – 28) consumed an extensive amount of time (e.g. it
took over 150 hours from 16 staff members just to provide the initial
spreadsheet in response to ATRT2's detailed request for information), and
this work is being done in addition to the ongoing responsibilities and
public reporting by staff. As you've seen, each Review Team generally has
its own preferences which necessitate tailored and incremental
presentations, reporting and updates. Staff has offered an alternate
approach on some recommendations and it is, of course, up to the ATRT2 to
factor this into its work and make final decisions.

Again, Staff's initial response to the ATRT2 was provided in the spirit of
collaborative work toward the shared goal of continuous improvement to
ICANN's accountability and transparency.  Please let us know how we can be
of further assistance.

Regards,

Denise

Denise Michel