[bc-gnso] Draft BC position Regsitry Registrar Separation

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Aug 11 13:20:52 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Philip Sheppard wrote:
> One step at a time please.
> This paper covers only R&R separation and will continue to do so.
>
> If BC members want more on other issues, then volunteer to draft a different paper please.

I believe Marilyn made the valid point that since there is no GNSO
comment period at this time, and since there is thus no time urgency,
any statement should be on the broader "economic issues", of which
registry-registrar separation is but one aspect.

And since this issue is now being reopened, I wonder, had another
constituency made a false statement that the BC was in favour of say
anonymous WHOIS, I imagine and expect that the officers would be up in
arms doing investigations on who said what, seeking out the guilty
party, demanding retractions, etc.

But when Alexa Raad of PIR openly says the BC issued a strong
"statement of concern" in June:

http://blog.pir.org/?p=363
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090621_advocating_for_domain_name_registry_registrar_separation/

(when the BC had no position) there is of course no investigation. Why
are the BC officers not investigating who made this "strong statement
of concern" on behalf of the BC? Why are the BC officers not demanding
that Alexa Raad and PIR retract the false statement that the BC had
any position back in June?

This seems to me to be an exercise in historical revisionism taking
place at the moment, whereby the party or parties who told PIR/Alexa
Raad that the BC had a position are now trying to get a BC position in
place ex post. Then they can claim "Oh, of course the BC *always* had
a position." (wink, wink)

So, to repeat:

1) The officers should investigate who made the "strong statement of
concern" on behalf of the BC, and discipline them accordingly.
2) Contact Alexa Raad / PIR to demand that they immediately retract
the false statement that the BC had any position on the topic.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/