[bc-gnso] Slackers (*not* the movie!)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Aug 14 00:10:17 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:
> I wonder why I bother to do anything of benefit to the BC, when I am
> attacked on our public list for simply raising a topic for membership
> discussion, and including my personal opinion on that topic.

You know, I was going to let that statement of self-pity go, feeling
that it would be seen as jumping on someone when they're down if I
followed up.

But, then I saw this attempt to offload promised work to ICANN staff:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-rap-dt/msg00304.html

that was already late, as I noted at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-rap-dt/msg00305.html

It's one thing to pretend one does things that "benefit the BC", it's
another thing to actually deliver upon them. That also means showing
up at meetings (recall the GNSO Council meeting where no BC reps
dialed in?), being on time, etc.

Oh yes, and since requesting the updated BC Members List and Contacts
list, have we seen deliverables? Nope. However, the Secretariat did
find to:

1) Make *dozens* of updates on Twitter: http://twitter.com/GaryHills

2) Check to see if I had a Twitter page of my own! (see the referrer
URL in #3) Sorry, I don't waste my time Tweeting.

3) Visit my personal homepage linked to my Twitter page (i.e. via the
referrer URL):

81.247.72.198 - - [13/Aug/2009:07:28:53 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200
6654 "http://twitter.com/GeorgeKirikos" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE
8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)"

and note 81.247.72.198 is certainly Gary's IP address, as it was in
the headers of the email forwarded on behalf of Marilyn:

ZaparazziPC) ([81.247.72.198])
  by relay.skynet.be with SMTP; 13 Aug 2009 14:34:17 +0200

I don't expect folks to go "above and beyond" the call of duty, just
do the work they promised to do. My criticisms might be tough, but
they're certainly fair.

So, if folks want to Twitter all day, or claim they do a lot for the
BC, that's fine --- just do the work you're supposed to do, and
there's no need for me to waste my time writing emails like this
(emails on topics that others are either uninfomed about, and love to
see the true facts of how this constituency operates, given the number
of people who downloaded the CADNA Form 990 statement the other day),
or are simply too meek to state the obvious and leave it up to the
more vigilant and outspoken ones to play "bad cop" while they can then
play "good cop."

There are two types of people in this world, givers and takers. This
constituency needs more of the former, and fewer of the latter.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/