[bc-gnso] Whois studies - progress report

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 18:28:45 UTC 2009

Thanks, Philip. I appreciate seeing your post. I am so sorry that the study process drags on so slowly.That must be very frustrating to all!

Do you/or perhaps others on the list have thoughts on how this set of studies 'melds' with the more recent discussion in the new gTLD implementation process regarding thick WHOIS for new gTLD registries? I  appreciate clarity from anyone with more detailed understanding of the following section from the staff memo pasted below:
"Regarding Study 4 on the attached (previously study #11) staff is currently> thinking (though our thoughts could certainly change) that this study might be
> subsumed by the work of the SSAC and GNSO [emphasis added by Marilyn] to study the feasibility of
> introducing display specifications to deal with the internationalization of
> registration data.

 I confess that I am not up to date on what work that the SSAC and GNSO are undertaking on that study,but for some reason, I had thought that the recognition was that 'thick WHOIS' was needed in the new gTLDs.This could be read that the display specification specifications would relate to 'internationalization' of registrationdata -- which might be read to mean only WHOIS for IDNs.
Feedback?
Marilyn Cade