[bc-gnso] Re: Urgent! Do we kill the Trademark Clearinghouse - being sold as Christmas Gift to TM Holders

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Wed Dec 2 16:11:04 UTC 2009

Zahid ‹ Thanks for raising the alarm about this Œwhite elephant¹ of a
Christmas gift.  I am checking with my members, but it seems best to reject
the gift as a comprehensive solution to defensive registrations.    Trick is
to avoid looking like we are just attempting to slow-down the new gTLD
launch.  Perhaps we do something like this:

We could agree that the Clearinghouse has a very limited benefit ‹ just a
way to cut costs for TM owners having to monitor multiple parallel sunrise
periods.  But that¹s ALL it is, so we should neither consider nor accept
this Clearinghouse mechanism as the required solution for defensive
registrations.

--Steve

Executive Director
NetChoice