[bc-gnso] ICA Letter to ICANN re:WIPO and CAC Expedited UDRP Proposals

Phil Corwin pcorwin at butera-andrews.com
Thu Dec 3 18:42:12 UTC 2009

FYI, on November 30th the Internet Commerce Association sent a letter to Chairman Thrush and CEO Beckstrom to request that ICANN enjoin WIPO and CAC from implementing any form of expedited UDRP through amendment to their Supplemental Rules. The letter has been posted to ICANN's Correspondence page and can be viewed at:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/corwin-to-beckstrom-dengate-thrush-30nov09-en.pdf

As stated in the letter, ICA is not opposed to the concept of an expedited UDRP process for existing gTLDs, but we do believe that this is a significant policy matter that must undergo GNSO review and ICANN Board approval. I have already received messages of agreement, both as regards our position on this matter and the general concept of establishing a PDP on UDRP reform, from members of other constituencies. I would also note that the STI-RT on the URS is considering making a general advisory recommendation for UDRP reform (while recognizing that this is outside the scope of its immediate task). I would hope that members of the BC would start considering the benefits for complainants, registrants, and the ICANN policy process that could result from such a PDP.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey