[bc-gnso] Fw: [gnso-sti] RE: Draft STI Report - V4 for your review

Phil Corwin pcorwin at butera-andrews.com
Thu Dec 10 04:11:11 UTC 2009

I very much appreciate the fact that the BC designated me in Seoul to serve as an alternate delegate to the STI-RT, despite the well known ICA differences with the IRT, and with the BC position on its work methodology and product.

That said, and for the record, the ICA does not agree with the BC position as regards the work of the STI-RT.

We have no specific disagreement with the BC minority position regarding the Trademark Clearinghouse. But we would note that the BC has registered 13 separate minority positions in regard to a proposal that the IPC has not registered a single objection to -- and wonder how it has come about that a constituency that is supposed to represent the broad interests of businesses conducted via the Internet has arrived at harder line positions on trademark issues than those of the constituency devoted to IP interests. (In comparison, only one other minority position was filed, on a single issue, by the RySG.)

We strongly dissent in regard to the BC position that the URS should provide a means to transfer a domain. The IRT proposed the URS as a supplement to the UDRP which, in exchange for a less expensive and expedited process, would lead to suspension of a domain rather than a transfer. Again, the BC is seeking to expand upon a proposal that the IPC has accepted. The ICA is not opposed to the consideration of an expedited, fast track UDRP -- so long as it that occurs within the context of a comprehensive UDRP reform PDP, rather than through a perversion of the limited scope of Supplemental Rules as has been proposed by the CAC and is anticipated from WIPO.

Thank you for consideration of our views.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey