[bc-gnso] Fw: [gnso-sti] RE: Draft STI Report - V4 for your review

Deutsch, Sarah B sarah.b.deutsch at verizon.com
Thu Dec 10 21:40:00 UTC 2009

I agree with this approach.  We should also make clear that the
Clearinghouse is not a true "remedy," but as a specific tool, which can
be used for the purpose of applying for multiple sunrise registrations.
Many businesses, however, still don't want to be forced to use this
process at all and there should no negative implication from not using
the tool or the sunrise process.  The STI also does not discuss the
difference between the use of the Clearinghouse for an  "IP Claims"
service (which could be a TM remedy)  vs. the sunrise option.  Because
registries have a choice between the two, most registries would choose
the more lucrative sunrise option.   I also did not see any discussions
of the minimum standards that should be included in any sunrise  process
as the IRT recommended in its report.

The "something is better than nothing" nature of the Clearinghouse
shifts focus to the limited remedy of the URS .  Because the URS has no
transfer option, it's important to highlight that trademark owners will
inevitably bear increased costs from filing multiple URS actions against
different cybersquatters, monitoring and docketing suspensions, trying
to win back expiring names or filing more UDRPs to actually win valuable
names back into their portfolios .

Sarah

Sarah B. Deutsch
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Verizon Communications
Phone: 703-351-3044
Fax: 703-351-3670
sarah.b.deutsch at verizon.com