[bc-gnso] RE: Important--Regsitry Registrar Separation issue

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Thu Jul 30 21:09:59 UTC 2009

Mike,

First thanks for taking the time to circulate and then re-circulate the
document. This outreach and consultation within the constituency is much
appreciated.

I also favor retaining the established registry-registrar separation
safeguard, in fact I wrote a rather detailed article in CircleID on this
very topic, see
http://www.circleid.com/posts/domain_name_registry_registrar_vertical_separa
tion/

The only comment I would make is that your submission sort of falls into the
red herring trap that ICANN has set in connection with the
economic/anti-trust analysis. I think taking the high road about protecting
registrant rights is the much safer road to travel.

Here is the question I pose to the ICANN Board in my article cited above:
"will removing the vertical separation safeguards either INCREASE or
DECREASE the likelihood of the above described type of action within the
domain name marketplace. Now if the ICANN Board finds merits in the concerns
highlighted in this article, it does not need to turn to high price consumer
advocates to prepare expert reports. The ICANN Board merely needs to turn
the At-Large Advisory Committee, the Business, Intellectual Property, ISP
and non-commercial constituencies that were never consulted at the outset
and ask their input. It is that SIMPLE."

Best regards,

Michael Palage