[bc-gnso] RE: Important--Regsitry Registrar Separation issue

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Fri Jul 31 17:55:37 UTC 2009

Mike,

Not to sound like an attorney but please read the ICANN proposal "fine
print". Under the current proposal a Registrar would be able to register up
to 100,000 in a TLD in which they or an affiliate were the registry
operator. Do you want to take a bet on what percentage of those 100,000 with
be premium generics?

"With a limited exception, a registrar should not sell domain services of an
affiliated registry. This limit is set to a certain threshold, in this
model, 100,000 domain names. (The registrar may continue to manage its
existing base of registrations once the threshold is met)" See
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/regy-regr-separation-18feb09-en.pdf

Best regards,

Michael