[bc-gnso] FW: [gnso-idng] motion for IDNG WG formation

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:45:48 UTC 2009

I applaud that Steve DelBianco is a model of 'interest declaration', and I will reciprocate.
I do  not have clients who are applying to be registries. I spent considerable 'pro bono' time on Internet governance issues, which brings me into contact "on a frequent basis" with developing governments, companies from developing countries, and development agencies. I teach a class on Internet Governance, and explain ICANN's model of private sector multi stakeholder 'governance' frequently to governments, intergovernmental organizations, businesses in various and diverse settings, and even ocassionally, to NGOs.
I simply don't buy it that the business user community should ignore the need to fact gather. And to put my $$ where my mouth is, I will reach out to friends in the  ccTLD managers to tell them that I would welcome learning more from the ccTLD community about their various experiences in serving businesses at the local/national level, and to ask if there is any situation where it would be feasible to reach out to businesses to invite them to know about the BC, even if not to participate in it.
In August, I'll be going to Trindidad and Tobago, and to two other countries for meetings and intend to work with WITSA to organize business roundtables. Perhaps we can have a realistic and pragmatic discussion about what we might offer to business users in such settings to encourage them to give us their views -- given that we say we represent businesses around the world.
The organization can't survive on the limited business membership of the BC today. Let's talk about how to at least improve the 'informational' side of ICANN's services to businesses, not taking too much pride in ourselves. :-)
Shortly, I'll also speak at three Internet governance 'forums'.  Again, excellent opportunities to talk about ICANN, especially since ICANN staff will also be there.
but in addition to 'talking', we need to listen. Or am I wrong about what being a membership driven organization means?
that was rhetorical. I know you all are committed to business outreach, not only to 'ourselves' but broadly to business users.
best regards
Marilyn