[bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC

Liz Williams lizawilliams at mac.com
Fri May 15 07:37:50 UTC 2009

George

It is usual for you to provide validation and research that supports
your points.  You have mentioned "negative externalities" -- apart
from the need to protect legitimate trademarks through existing
mechanisms and introducing improvements where we can, what other
negative externalities are there?

You mention "not demonstrated any widespread support outside of a
tiny minority who wish to direct profit from their launch". How does
that account for people wanting a TLD that is a not for profit,
public benefit, non commercial TLD?  More broadly, what is wrong with
making a profit?  On a very superficial reading, running a TLD
registry is both legal and not always profitable.

You have said that "profits which are geared to short-term thinking
and which can and will cause long-term and lasting damage to the
public."  Could you be more precise about long-term and lasting
damage to the public?

Liz

Liz Williams
+44 1963 364 380