[bc-gnso] FW: [gnso-sti] Common Grounds Paper

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Nov 5 19:24:58 UTC 2009

Thank-you, Zahid, for your exhaustive efforts on the rights protection
mechanisms.

As you requested, here¹s one comment on the draft BC position on Post
Delegation Dispute Mechanism (PDDM):

Twice in your draft you express concern about Registry Operators turning a
³blind eye² to infringements.  I¹m a fan of clever phrases such as ³turn a
blind eye², but in this case I think the rhetoric may go too far.

One of my registry members reminded me in Seoul that registry operations are
highly automated processes.  There is no human ³eye² looking at registration
Add records as they come in from registrars.  Accordingly, I suggest
replacing the two ³blind eye² concerns in the BC comments with this
statement:

> Registry operations for adding new names should be a highly-automated
> function, and the failure of a registry to take affirmative steps to assess
> whether a domain name violates trademark laws should not in itself constitute
> bad faith or systemic infringement.  However, a registry operator who fails to
> perform the specific rights protection mechanisms enumerated in its Registry
> Operator¹s Agreement should be subject to PDDM claims, as set forth in the IRT
> Final Report.

Again, thanks for working this on our behalf.

Executive Director
NetChoice
http://www.NetChoice.org and http://blog.netchoice.org
+1.202.420.7482