[bc-gnso] BC Charter vote - suspended

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Sun Oct 18 13:26:09 UTC 2009

great work George.  i like this charter a lot and really appreciate
all the work you put into crafting it.  i haven't had a chance to go
through it with a fine-tooth comb yet, but on first read it looks like
a great "alternative version" for us to vote on.

what do others think?

Philip, where do we stand in the process of arriving at a charter in
time for Seoul?  sorry if i've missed the update if there has been
one, i'm digging out from a week of Blackberry-based internet access
and may have missed it.

mikey

On Oct 14, 2009, at 9:36 AM, George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our previously stated concerns have not been reflected,
>
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00376.html
>
> and we continue to have major problems with the current draft, which
> we do not support. I will not the officers have failed to answer the
> questions previously raised about merging with the other
> constituencies and providing the "minimally marked up" version of the
> charter from months ago:
>
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00536.html
>
> The past 6 months have demonstrated, to be blunt, that one can spend
> months polishing a turd, but in the end it remains one. To build a
> solid foundation, we should look elsewhere for a contract template to
> build upon. Perhaps the IP, ISP, or other constituencies have better
> charters to start from.
>
> I've gone ahead and taken the City TLD charter template:
>
> http://gnso.icann.org/files/gnso/en/improvements/ctldc-petition-charter-redacted-01jun09.pdf
>
> and made a small number of amendments to it to make it compatible with
> the BC. I've attached that alternative charter in both PDF and .doc
> formats (it was a rush job, so there are probably still some typos and
> formatting errors in it). Kudos to Dirk for providing reasonably
> balanced and neutral language in his proposed constituency charter. I
> don't see it as the be-all and end-all, but present it as a starting
> point that folks can build upon to get to a final charter that is
> acceptable to a majority.
>
> Below is a list of all substantial changes I made relative to the
> original City TLD draft charter:
>
> ------ start of list of changes -----------
> 1.1. Changed "City Top-Level Domain Constituency" to "Commercial and
> Business Users Constituency" and CTLDC to CBUC here, and elsewhere
> throughout the document.
>
> 1.2. Copied Mission from the current BC draft. from section 2.
>
> 1.3. changed RySG to CSG and RySGRs to CSGRs, and elsewhere throughout
> the document
>
> 1.4.e. changed to reflect interest of business, instead of City TLDs
>
> 2.1.2.a. Changed the eligibility requirement from 6 months to 3 months
>
> 2.1.2.e. modified the reference to "active participation" which had
> very iffy requirements and mandates
>
> 2.2.1. added words "after consulation with members"
>
> 2.2.4.a. approval of budget by MEMBERS, not just the EC, by a vote
>
> 2.2.5.i. eliminated the reference to more than 4 nominations; no one
> should be excluded from a vote
>
> 2.3. changed from a private mailing list to the public mailing list.
>
> 2.4.1.e. changed 30 days to 10.
>
> 2.4.1.g. Added section that "EC shall explore the option of automated
> voting systems." (i.e. use of BigPulse.com or other systems available
> through the GNSO)
>
> 2.4.2.b. added the words to reiterate a "vote by members", eliminated
> "Secretary" as having a role in the budget
>
> 2.4.2.e. New section. Make available accounting records to members.

> [...]

phone 	651-647-6109
fax  		866-280-2356
web 	www.haven2.com
handle	OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook,
Google, etc.)