[bc-gnso] Clarification as to which draft Charter to comment upon

Deutsch, Sarah B sarah.b.deutsch at verizon.com
Wed Oct 21 16:00:55 UTC 2009

All,

I would like to suggest some initial changes to version 16 of the draft
charter, which includes the good change Ayesha inserted below.   On a
related topic, we think it is important to delete the section on
"divisional separation" as many BC members, large and small, have
limited resources and should have the flexibility to have the same
person or overlapping persons representing them on different
constituencies.

You'll see a number of other edits, including those that soften the tone
of the charter, focusing more on reasonable practices and less on
sanctions.  For example, although I understand the intent behind the
"solidarity clause," the language about "remaining faithful to approved
positions" is too vague and sounds somewhat totalitarian. Both companies
and individuals' positions can change.  I don't think we need this
language in light of the other language in the charter on expected
standards of behavior.

I also made changes to clarify that the Consitutency as a whole should
decide which issues are priority policy issues.  The role of the vice
chair for policy should more reasonably be to coordinate with members as
to which policies are priorities, not to make those decisions
unilaterally.  Finally, I deleted the provision about compliance with
"prevailing privacy laws" since there are literally thousands of laws
and regulations around the world and no one BC member can reasonably be
expected to know them all.  The language requiring general compliance
with the care of personal data should be sufficient.

Note that all of these are initial proposed changes to this document
only.  I also liked the draft charter that Marilyn posted earlier and
saw it as largely non-controversial.  If it is not feasible to work off
the many good suggestions in her draft, Marilyn should be provided with
the opportunity to insert the best aspects of that document into the
current draft for further consideration.

Sarah

Sarah B. Deutsch
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Verizon Communications
Phone: 703-351-3044
Fax: 703-351-3670
sarah.b.deutsch at verizon.com