[bc-gnso] FW: [council] Confirmation of new practice at face to face open council meetings

Liz Williams lizawilliams at mac.com
Sun Oct 25 04:01:59 UTC 2009

Mike

It's helpful to be flexible in these situations and I think that the
"system" needs to incorporate Issue Managers on a predictable and
normal basis.  People who work in Working Groups and Taskforces become
natural experts and need a formalised platform to share their work.
That is a good development which does not preclude Councillors doing
their job on Council.  It helps them in working group situations.

This isn't the UN or APEC TEL or the OECD -- that's where we would
worry about scalability.  It is small numbers of people working a wide
range of complex issues.

Limiting the "table" to Councillors and Issues Managers is a mid way
point between having the open slather which is currently the case and
Councillors only.  I'd suggest that the BC is in a position to be the
leader here and that we should talk about the best way forward for
working sessions tonight.

Best wishes.

Liz