[bc-gnso] FW: STI-DT -- BC preliminary position statements

Liz Williams lizawilliams at mac.com
Wed Oct 28 02:33:42 UTC 2009

Hello everyone

IF these elements are where there is consensus THEN I suggest we move
rapidly to supporting a statement that says now these issues are
resolved (which are all post implementation commitments for potential
applicants and NOT barrier issues to the application process), the new
TLD application process can proceed.  Note that the effect of these
supposedly mandatory requirements will not take effect for at least
another 12 months, presupposing that an application process opens in
Q1 2010.

Arguing to put in place any other impediments in the new TLD
application process unfairly and unreasonably enables a group to hold
a process hostage, at the expense of other legitimate stakeholders.

Note that these so called mandatory requirements have not been
accurately costed, do not apply to existing legacy registries and, as
such, will attach burdens to new applicants which are not clearly
articulated.  I doubt that anyone who supports the opening of the new
TLD application process will ask for this detail to be provided in
full in advance of the application process.  That would only cause
further unnecessary delays.

Liz