[bc-gnso] A message from Mike Roberts

Rick Anderson RAnderson at interborder.ca
Tue Sep 1 16:02:23 UTC 2009

Hi all.

I am delighted to join everyone else in offering hearty congratulations to Mike on his selection to the NomCom.  His experience, knowledge and perspective will bring terrific value to the NomCom. He will do the BC proud as our representative.

I think it also important to acknowledge the endless contributions of Liz Williams, who works tirelessly to advance the BC ship in ICANN's never-easy-to-navigate waters.

Lastly, I wish to share with all of you fellow members that which I conveyed to the BC officers and secretariat a couple of weeks ago, which is that I would be delighted to serve as the BC's large business rep on the NomCom if that is the will of the members. (I had not volunteered at the outset, thinking there would be others who would have stepped forward during the pre-election process.)

By way of brief background, I am EVP of Interborder Holdings Ltd, based in Canada.  We have operations in the US, Asia and Europe, offering mutual fund and real estate-based investing to clients on those three continents.  We have about 1,500 employees and do about $3 billion in business annually.  We have no financial interest in the domain name industry (eg as registries, registrars, portfolio investors, etc) other than operating own proprietary websites in support of our businesses (about two dozen websites, in six languages, with perhaps another 500 related urls held defensively).  Like everyone in the BC, we wishing to see the internet continue to flourish as an entrepreneurial and creative medium which finds the proper continue balances amongst stakeholders.

Personally, I have been involved with ICANN for about six years, and have been a member of the BC for about that long, have attended perhaps a dozen Board meetings (Argentina, India, Luxembourg, LA, Vancouver, Montreal, Wellington, Cape Town, Rome, Paris...).  For the past five or six years, I have also been an elected director of CIRA, the Canadian Internet Registration, the not-for-profit organization mandated by the Government of Canada to operate the .ca registry.

I would be happy to represent the BC on the NomCom if that is your wish.

cheers/Rick

Rick Anderson
EVP, InterBorder Holdings Ltd
email: randerson at interborder.ca