[bc-gnso] Elections

Rick Anderson RAnderson at interborder.ca
Thu Sep 3 12:11:30 UTC 2009

Hello everyone.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the points Liz raises.  It is quite important to the BC's legitimacy and our effectiveness that we take our governance seriously and that we go about our processes in an even-handed and transparent manner.  This is not exactly how I, at least, perceive the BC to be operating these last few years.

Just to address one factual point which Liz mentions, in last year's election it was not quite so simple as Rick "not having his nomination in on time".  Without regurgitating the tedious details, what actually occurred was that the officers announced there would be an election and my nomination was promptly submitted - but it was deemed to be "too early" as the nomination period was not yet formally commenced.  I was in the process of changing jobs, homes and moving 2000 miles cross- country. While my new membership was pending, I was briefly removed from the list for a few weeks whilst the membership application of my new company (yes, a large business) was submitted, processed and accepted. I was quite surprised to find that in the interregnum my "too early" nomination had simply been ignored, thinking then (and now) that this is a rather shoddy way to treat longstanding members who are expressing an interest to volunteer our time for roles. Once my new firm's membership was processed, it was then "too late" to resubmit that nomination. On that basis I was excluded from running: one nomination too early and the other too late. The members were informed there were not enough candidates to hold an election, and an acclamation proceeded. It would not have any effort at all to confirm the interest of another candidate known to be willing to stand, and known also to be in the process of a membership transition, but no such effort was made.

I did perceive a certain capriciousness in all of that, as does Liz today, and said so at the time in my objection.

With respect to today, I am seeking no special treatment.  There is a vacancy for the position of our BC's large business rep on the NomCom.  I have indicated my willingness to fill that position, and am qualified to do so.  If there are others who are also willing and qualified, the obvious solution would seem to be for the members to have an election and for the members to choose our large business rep, as Liz and others have stated.

Best wishes.

cheers/Rick

Rick Anderson
EVP, InterBorder Holdings Ltd