[bc-gnso] NCUC statement on vertical integration

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Sep 4 12:09:28 UTC 2009

Hello,

I support there being a PDP for this topic, but not for this topic in
isolation. In particular, their reasoning:

"This issue must be resolved through the GNSO

Vertical separation of registries and registrars is a policy issue –
one of the most fundamental policies underlying ICANN’s regulation of
the domain name industry. And yet this important policy change is
being handled as if it were an “implementation” decision that can be
inserted into new gTLD contracts. Although ICANN’s management has
commissioned economist reports on the topic, there has been no GNSO
process to make a policy change. We fail to see how a policy as
important as this can be changed without a GNSO proceeding. We are
deeply concerned by what appears to be yet another case of staff-made
policy. "

also applies to issues like Elimination of Price Caps, and the IRT.
Those are major and fundamental *policy* changes. As such, they must
*all* be resolved through the GNSO before any new TLDs go forward.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/