[bc-gnso] BC charter revision - basic principles

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Thu Sep 10 11:14:51 UTC 2009

In order to shape any conference call on the Charter I wonder if members would
be kind enough to provide thoughts on the following.

Background
Today we have 41 members, 3 elected volunteer member officers, 3 appointed
credentials committee, and 2 nom com appointees plus a part time secretariat.
Additionally a number of members contribute to ad hoc policy and other task
forces etc.

Issue 1 - the balance between doers and members
What is the right balance between the number of annually elected positions and
the membership size ?
Today (and for the last 10 years) it is 3/41 = 7%
Draft charter changes it to 5/41 =12%.
The draft charter also envisages other admin committees totalling with the
elected positions 13/41 =32%.

What is the right balance between elected, appointed and ad hoc ?
Are there one third of the BC willing to volunteer their time to non-policy
work?
Is there sufficient motivation to be a member volunteer for mostly non-policy
work?
Do members want one set of elections per year or several ?
What does it mean if we conduct an election but less than half the members vote?

Issue 2 - balance of independence
As ICANN starts to offer more services what degree of independence do we want as
a constituency ?
Do members wish to authorise the release of their private data to enable ICANN
staff for instance in the future to run BC elections?
Do members wish to entrust ICANN with the funds in the BC bank account ?
Or should the ICANN toolbox be a basket of services that the secretariat can
choose from?

Knowing how members feel on these higher level issues may help us move forward
and reach consensus on the shape of our future Charter.

Philip