[bc-gnso] BC officer election to Council

BC Secretariat secretariat at bizconst.org
Wed Sep 16 08:36:41 UTC 2009

Background
Under the adopted Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG) charter the CSG has six
seats on the new Council starting in October in Seoul. It has been agreed
between the three constituencies in the CSG that each Constituency will
select two seats until further notice. It has been agreed within Council
that Council members with terms that are unfinished will remain in place
until the natural end of their term. This maintains the continuity benefits
of elections in staggered years. For the BC this means that Mike Rodenbaugh,
who was elected by the BC for the period October 2008 - October 2010, will
be one of our Councillors for the next 12 months. Under our existing BC
Charter we would in any case be holding elections for the seats currently
held by Philip Sheppard and Zahid Jamil in September.

Developments
BC Charter discussion looks like it may take some time and risks us not
replacing our representative if we wait until discussion has finished.
We anyway have longer to discuss this than the necessary timing of the
election for Council.
It is not necessary to hold the election under a revised Charter. We just
need to have a selection mechanism.

Way forward
We therefore intend to hold an election under our existing Charter for  the
seat presently held by Zahid Jamil for the term October 2009 - October 2011.
To avoid confusion this election will take place shortly after the  current
election for the remaining nominating committee position.
The third seat currently held by Philip Sheppard will not be continued after
the end of his term of office.

Zahid Jamil
Mike Rodenbaugh
Philip Sheppard