[bc-gnso] Travel Support to ICANN meetings -- how about a different title: post if you want to discuss...

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:56:34 UTC 2009

:-)
I have an idea though, about perhaps developing some general guidelines that support the general needs and interests of the BC.  Then, we need to have transparency, that way, we don't have to worry about an audit.

we have discussed travel support in the past,and I did post more than once that it might be that the BC wouldprefer to fund two of three councilors in some instances, because a Working Group member needed sponsorship. We are now only going to have two councilors - so it would seem that we should probably want to see our councilors in attendance, but realize that that isn't always the case, due to schedules.
However, what I'd like to raise is that with the new approach to separating 'church and state' [sorry for  a "US -ism" and I'm not sure whether administration /management of the BC is 'church' or 'state' :-) ] e.g. separating administration and policy development, the BC members will be well served to have travel funding support available to support a chair or vice chair, or a working group member, not only policy councilors, depending on the essentials of the work needed AT a meeting that require face to face interactions.
we really have a lot to think through. With the CSG, we don't actually know how much of the larger organizational functions may work. ...
I propose that we have a BC briefing call and invite Rob Hoggarth /Ken Bour to do an update on various pending organizational time lines/changes, and let members ask questions.  That way we are getting a neutral staff delivered update. Then we can have a BC discussion --onlist, or perhaps as a continuing conf. call.
I think I proposed this before...
One important point: I confirmed to Gary that I will attend Seoul; however, I really can't support making any decisions during the Seoul meeting that are limited to face to face participants. We won't have any kind of quorem at that meeting. We will need to have other mechanisms , and perhaps even extensions of time so that more members can participate in an informed, and meaningful way.
Best regards
Marilyn