[bc-gnso] ICANN News Alert -- The Accountability and Transparency Affirmation Review Team

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 21:50:06 UTC 2010

Dear BC members
During the recent Kenya ICANN meeting, one of the side events which your CSG representatives -- Sarah Deutsch and Marilyn Cade-- participated in [with other CSG reps] was the development of the process to select the nominee from the SG into the process that would then lead to the 'endorsed' candidates for the 'selectors' -- the Chair of ICANN and the Chair of the GAC, to select the final panel of participants.  All BC members thank the BC members who were willing to stand for nomination to the Review Panel on Accountability and Transparancy.  We were privileged to have more than one BC member who volunteered for the selection process.
The CSG endorsed one of the candidates put forward from the three commercially oriented constituencies, after an internal discussion within the CSG. Our endorsed candidate was indeed selected to the Panel.

The 'news' is pasted below regarding the Panel's selection.  We will be discussing how the BC/CSG can support the work of the Panel at the Brussels meeting, once we are informed of the Review Panel's processes.
The future process for the next three panels is not determined, and it is my plan to ask the CSG representative, Sarah Deutsch, to help to define  improvements to the process used on this 'selection', to ensure that the BC's interests are represented. This may mean that a process that relies on the SGs, rather than the gTLD Policy Council, could emerge for the future review panels. We have time and will ensure that all BC members participate in the discussion of processes for the next three Review Panels. This panel's overall selection process was regrettably driven by deadlines that gave the community limited flexibility.
However, we are fortunate that the outcome  -- selection of the panel -- reflects the BC's input.
Marilyn CadeBC ChairAlternate to CSG for BC