[bc-gnso] DRAFT for new Membership Package/Review Comments from Members welcomed

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 16:05:53 UTC 2010

Dear BC members
I have been working with a small group of members to update and refresh the Membership Package, to include new members reference statements, and some updates on what the current events /current policy issues. We had sort of fallen a bit behind in getting this updated and it was one of the items not refreshed after our new Charter so we are prioritizing its update. We also need to have it updated so that we can conclude membership recruitment that started in Nairobi with a few new member applicants. And of course, so that our existing membership has a document of reference to use for internal purposes when needed to support your continuation as a BC member. Thanks to our members who volunteered to provide initial comments and to the ExComm members.
This is a final DRAFT Version -- which means that it is now ready for full Membership comments and edits. I welcome in line edits, if you don't mind, and would really like it if you would put your initials: followed by your edit.
So, for example, say you were editing the Title:  The ICANN GNSO Business Constituency 2010
[MSC: Shouldnt the title be the full title of the BC, e.g. Commercial and Business Users Constituency (BC) 2010?]Or you can of course use the inline editing mechanism, but put your initialls with your edits, so I can keep track of them.
We will start invoicing members during April, and the fees will remain at the 2009 level. The document attached has the fee levels incorporated.
The format is very poor, and I realize that, but it will be prettied up for the website. It is really intended for new members, but of course, it is what the world reads about us and our purpose and focus, so we need your input and thoughts.
I would like to have edits by Friday, April 23.  It is not a policy document, but does have to reflect members input and review. We will want to post it that next week, if we are in general agreement on content.
I want to explain one edit I made.  During meetings in Nairobi, there were discussions with some industry groups incorporated in non Western counties,who have a not for profit status, although they represent commercial members. They were uncomfortable with whether they were eligible to join the BC. In the US and in Europe, associations have a not for profit status, but have commercial members.  The footnote is intended to just be a clarification, without change, for any such questions.
Best Regards
Marilyn CadeBC Chair