[bc-gnso] Draft BC position EOI v2

Ron Andruff randruff at rnapartners.com
Thu Feb 25 17:05:47 UTC 2010

Philip,

While RNA Partners is on record for supporting the
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/eoi-new-gtlds/msg00004.html>  EOI process for
a number of reasons, we are not wholly opposed to your draft BC position on
this topic.  There are, however, three things that jumped out at me when I
read your draft.

I am not sure that the following statement is true and believe that it
should be verified before inclusion: "The EOI process is diverting ICANN
staff and the community from focusing on the completion of the DAG itself"
My understanding is that the EOI process is simply identifying cornerstone
elements earlier on in the overall process.  In this way it establishes a
manageable way forward when the process gets underway by avoiding inevitable
bottlenecks and/or massive confusion that a "shotgun start" would
undoubtedly lead to.

The second questionable comment (noted below) is incorrect, in my view.
While RNA strongly supports an IP Clearinghouse (or some such mechanism)
being in place prior to the new gTLD application period opens, in lieu of
having that finalized prior to the EOI opening brand, owners still have the
right to oppose any and all speculators in their names as is outlined in the
current DAG.  As I read it, the current challenge language - an organization
of standing - ensures that brand holders rights are protected by allowing
them to oppose so that their names/marks cannot fall into the hands of an
unauthorized applicant.  "brand owners may feel compelled to enter into an
EOI purely for defensive reasons, so that they do not suffer when a
speculator is given rights in their brand."

Finally, we also do not agree that the EOI violates the AoC.  In this
regard, we agree entirely with Marilyn's comments submitted to this list.

Kind regards,

RA

  _____