[bc-gnso] DRAFT BC Public Comments on DAGv4

Phil Corwin pcorwin at butera-andrews.com
Mon Jul 19 14:38:57 UTC 2010

ICA believes that John's redraft is a significant improvement in many ways.

However, we do continue to have some concerns about the URS section, specifically:

  *   We can't support the transfer option, as suspension versus transfer was one of the major distinctions between URS and standard UDRP as originally proposed by the IRT -- that is, URS was supposed to be for rapid, lower cost blocking of a domain in slam dunk cases, with UDRP reserved for less clear cut cases as well as instances where the complainant wished to permanently acquire the domain. We think it's important to preserve that distinction and that problems with the use of the UDRP for default cases should be addressed by comprehensive UDRP reform.
  *   We don't agree that the language asserting that the "impact" test is too low for a finding of abuse of process. The exact language now in the DAG is --

            "An Examiner may find that Complaint contained a deliberate material falsehood if it

            contained an assertion of fact, which at the time it was made, was made with the

            knowledge that it was false and which, if true, would have an impact on the outcome on

            the URS proceeding."

What this says is that if a complainant deliberately lied about a material fact in order to influence the outcome of a URS in its favor it will suffer a penalty in order to protect the integrity of the overall process. The penalty for one such deliberate lie is being suspended from using the URS for one year; the penalty for two such lies is permanently barring it from use of the process. Now, as a practical matter, it will be the rare case where the examiner is able to conclude that the complainant deliberately misrepresented material facts, so this isn't going to happen very often, plus there are no monetary sanctions - including fines or a requirement that the complainant pay the registrant's costs of defending the domain - so it isn't as severe a pernalty as some called for it to be. If the BC is going to say that the impact test is too low (with which we don't agree) then I think it has some responsibility to propose an alternate tests that protects the integrity of the URS against the (hopefully rare) complainant who deliberately seeks to abuse it.

As a typographical matter, the last portion of the last sentence of the first URS paragraph should read "less certainty for the complainant using this process", not "registrant".

Finally, we appreciate the serious and civil debate that has been taking place within the BC on this matter -- this is precisely what should occur within a constituency to bridge differences in perspective.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey