[bc-gnso] DRAFT BC Public Comments on DAGv4

Deutsch, Sarah B sarah.b.deutsch at verizon.com
Mon Jul 19 19:25:43 UTC 2010

Jon,

Thanks for clarifying.  If this is the case, then it looks like ICANN
kept the high burden of proof for trademark owners on the one hand and
ditched other parts of the deal, including that it be in exchange for a
rapid (hence the "R" in the name URS) process.

As a practical matter, I don't see how any trademark owner will be able
to prove anything more than they already prove in filing a UDRP case.
For example, in most cases, you'll know the infringer took your domain
name, which is identical or confusingly similar to your trademark.  You
may or may not have screen shots of ads on their infringing webpages.
You may or may not have accurate WHOIS information about the infringer.
You may or may not have evidence that the infringer stole other third
party trademarks.

There is no certainty for trademark owners about what is meant by "clear
and convincing evidence" and how to meet that standard over the evidence
we typically submit in the UDRP process.  Obviously, there's no way to
know the subjective intent of the infringer without full blown
litigation and discovery.  At a minimum, ICANN needs to give more
guidance on this issue.

This burden of evidence standard is just one more reason why brand
owners will avoid using the URS.

Sarah

Sarah B. Deutsch
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Verizon Communications
Phone: 703-351-3044
Fax: 703-351-3670