[bc-gnso] DRAFT BC Public Comments on DAGv4

Phil Corwin pcorwin at butera-andrews.com
Mon Jul 19 22:03:46 UTC 2010

With all respect, how can we know what there is consensus for without a polling of the entire consistency? Only a minority of the membership has weighed in during the current discussion on either side of the issues.

Your formulation would tend to let the dead hand of the past control BC positions and leaves the Constituency looking irrelevant and self-isolated -- arguing the exact same positions that were not adopted by the STI and have not found their way into the DAG amkes it easy for the GNSO Council, staff, and Board to ignore them and is likely to achieve little in the way of changing the trademark protections.

Another concern is that this approach tends to exacerbate divisions within the BC rather than reducing them. Once one viewpoint is adopted its defenders can dig in for an extended period and tell those with other views that all must remain static until they can demonstrate (by unstated means) that there is a new consensus for a different position, regardless of intervening events since the position was first formulated.

The opposite view is that for the BC to continue putting forward the same positions over time there should be a demonstration that a consensus still exists in their favor. Many members have spoken out against the prior position over the past few days, which is why there has been a move toward Jon's reformulation of the rights protections. Is his work now being rejected? Is everything that deviates from the original unsuccessful positions to be labeled a "watering down"?

If a majority of the BC wants to repeat the same rights protection positions that have borne little in the way of results so be it, but don't expect much to change. But perhaps it would be better for the Constituency to now advance positions on which their appears to be consensus -- such as careful and staged rollout of new gTLDs - note its disappointment that its views have not found their way into the DAG, and then advance something positive and forward looking for which there might be broad support within the BC. In that regard I would again suggest that we consider endorsing the RAPWG's call for balanced and comprhensive review of the UDRP.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey