[bc-gnso] Process and polling for BC Comments on DAGv4

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Tue Jul 20 17:14:38 UTC 2010

From: Marilyn Cade (BC Chair) and Steve DelBianco (vice chair for policy coordination)
to:      BC members

Comments on DAGv4 are due to ICANN on 21-July.  Ron Andruff volunteered to be BC Rapporteur and worked with Sarah Deutsch to circulate a draft on 14-July.

For the last week, about a dozen BC members debated and exchanged alternate drafts via email.  During that discussion,  at least 5 BC members expressed opposition to the comment draft.  If opposition reaches 15% of paid membership, section 7.4 in our Charter is triggered:

7.4. Approval where there is continued disagreement
Where the discussion mechanism indicates a split in the Constituency of more than 15% of the number of members, there will then be a vote (typically by e-mail) on the position. Only the designated representatives of members will be eligible to vote.

A position paper which has the support of at least a simple majority of 51% of the eligible votes in favour will be deemed adopted by the Constituency so long as the total number of members voting represents not less than a quorum of 50% of paid-up members. Where a quorum is not reached the Executive Committee will decide whether a re-vote, re-thinking of the position or publication of a minority position is required and the process will then repeat as appropriate.
http://www.bizconst.org/charter.htm

The ability of the BC to comment on DAG 4 is important to many of the members.

The time line has to be modified to do follow the polling process in our charter.

The majority of your executive committee supports giving a clean document to members to vote/poll in a shortened time frame.

We respect that some of you may not be in agreement with the decision. However, we see no other way to achieve a submission within a reasonable time frame. Although it will be 2 days late, it will be within a reasonable time frame to be considered by ICANN.

Ron Andruff is working with a few others on a clean document that he will distribute by 4pm EDT today.  The goal is to for this document to get as close as we can to a consensus that all BC members can vote on.

Ron may also distribute additional section(s) that would be subject to a separate vote.

We will then conduct a formal members poll to close by noon EDT, Friday 23-July.

We understand that this is not the best option.  But given time pressures, and the work that has gone into this from all members, we want to ensure that we do all we can to have as much agreement on a core submission as we can, and that we find ways to hear the voices and concerns of all members.