[bc-gnso] FW: [liaison6c] Updated Agenda for GNSO Council Meeting 5 August 2010.

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 23:44:52 UTC 2010

Dear BC Members:  The information below provides information about the upcoming GNSO Council meeting. I ask our Councilors and V.Chair of Policy Coordination to provide an update on any discussions or votes thatwill be undertaken at this Council meeting. 
Reminder that we have a call with CSG re candidates for RTs on 8/4. See separate email/bridge will be posted on Monday to bcprivate list. 
Looking ahead, I will be announcing a BC members call for August [realize some are on holiday] and we will schedule monthly callsthereafter, at a minimum.
In addition, there will be several execomm calls during the rest of year, and we will initiate publishing the agenda and attendance at all those calls, for furthertransparency. Thanks to the two members who proposed that. Excellent idea which I fully support. 
We will also continue to work on a BC members face to face/with remote participation meeting in September.
Marilyn CadeBC Chair

Updated Agenda for GNSO Council Meeting 5 August 2010.


note the link to the :

Council meeting audiocast http://stream.icann.org/gnso/

Please distribute this
link and the agenda to all your stakeholder group/constituency members



Agenda for
GNSO Council Meeting 5 August 2010.

This agenda was established according to the GNSO Council
Operating Procedures approved 28 October 2009 for the GNSO Council.



* An
excerpt of the ICANN Bylaws defining the voting thresholds is provided in
Appendix 1 at the end of this agenda.

* An excerpt from the Council Operating Procedures defining the absentee voting
procedures is provided in Appendix 2 at the end of this agenda.

Time 15:00 UTC

See the following and http://www.timeanddate.com/ for other times:

PDT; 10:00 CDT & Quito; 11:00 EDT; 12:00 Buenos Aires; 12:00 Brazil; 17:00
CEST; 19:00 Moscow; 20:00 Pakistan; 23:00 Hong Kong; 00:00 Tokyo, 01:00
Melbourne (next day) 

numbers will be sent individually to Council members. Councilors should notify
the GNSO Secretariat in advance if a dial out call is needed.

click on the link to join the GNSO Council Adobe Connect room


Please enter as a 'guest'.

GNSO Council meeting
audiocast http://stream.icann.org/gnso/

1: Administrative matters (10 minutes)

1.1 Roll
call of Council members

Update any statements of interest

Review/amend agenda

1.4. Note
the status of minutes for the previous Council meeting per the GNSO Operating

• 15 July
Meeting – Scheduled for approval on 28 July 2010 


Item 2: OSC GNSO
Improvement Recommendations (15 minutes)

2.1 Refer to motion:


2.2 Read the motion (Olga Cavalli)

2.3 Discussion

2.4 Vote

(Note that absentee voting will not be allowed for this vote.)

Action Items (if motion passes):

• Cheat sheet for new voting procedures (Ken Bour)

• Distribution of Constituency & Stakeholder Group Operating Procedures
(Glen de Saint Géry)

• Staff will distribute a package of materials for SGs and Constituencies
regarding charters (Rob Hoggarth)

Item 3: Whois Studies (20 minutes)

3.1 Refer

• Whois Studies Report: 


• RFP for Proxy/Abuse Study: 


• Liz Gasster's summary chart of the studies:


• Brief overview of the study choices presented by Lisa Phifer on 15 July: 


Motion to delay decision on Whois studies

• Refer to motion: 


• Discussion

• Vote

(Note that absentee voting will not be allowed for this.)

Motion to proceed with Study # 1 (if needed)

• Refer to motion: 


• Discussion

• Vote

(Note that absentee voting will not be allowed for this.)

Continuing discussion of how to proceed in selecting studies

3.5 Next steps?

4: September meeting date September 16 (scheduled date) vs. September 8? (10

• Refer to Doodle Poll results: 

o 8 September 11:00UTC and 15:00UTC


o 16 September 11:00UTC



• Adobe Connect Poll (Kristina Nordstrom)

Item 5: Prioritization
of GNSO work (20 Minutes)

5.1 Refer
to posted project ratings: 


5.2 Key points made in the 15 July Council meeting (from meeting minutes):

• “. . . not a useful exercise, not much was learnt,
should not proceed further with the prioritization exercise.”

• “. . . spending more time on the exercise will not accomplish useful

• “It was a difficult exercise, policy matters were not prioritized and the
core issue, management of the workload, still has not been resolved.”

• “The exercise was intended as a first step and not intended to solve the
workload management; other steps are needed. The exercise contributed an
important degree of common awareness and dissent to the group.”

• “The prioritization process could be improved with further input from the
Councilors and stakeholder groups.”

• “The exercise is important and informative from a staff perspective and the
Council needs to look at a two-step process going forward: step one - form a
small team to improve the process used to date drawing on input received; step
two - develop a process to manage the workload with input from staff of the
resources being used to support each of the working groups, which will reflect
both staff and community efforts.”

• “Support was expressed for continuing the prioritization work, but linking it
to the overall ICANN Staff and Community workload and to the Budget process.”

• “The question of available resources should be looked at in context. The
Vertical Integration working group as an example of one that would not normally
have commenced with all the work before Council, yet it did and the community
resources were available.”

• “Some believe that work should be prioritized but the methodology chosen is
not the most appropriate or efficient.”

5.3 Next

• Staff
Utilization Analysis targeted for 26 August meeting (Liz Gasster)

• Adobe Connect Poll Council regarding possible next steps (Kristina

o Option
1: Spend no more time on prioritization 

o Option 2: Develop a plan for using the results to manage the workload in the
near term

o Option 3: Form a drafting team with the task of developing a new process

o Option 4: Form a drafting team with the task of improving the process

o Option 5: Other? (including combinations of options 2, 3, and or 4)


• Action Items

6: GNSO Endorsements for the AoC SSR & Whois Policies RTs (10 minutes)

6.1 Refer

AoC Reviews site: http://gnso.icann.org/aoc-reviews/ 

• GNSO SSR RT site: http://gnso.icann.org/aoc-reviews/dns-ssr-en.htm

• GNSO Whois RT site: http://gnso.icann.org/aoc-reviews/whois-policies-en.htm

6.2 Key
dates in the endorsement process:

• 29 July – End of application period

• 19 August – Due date for SG input (SG primary endorsements + additional
candidates supported for diversity purposes)

• 26 August – Council meeting

• 8 or 16 September – Council meeting (see agenda item 11.2 below)

• 12 September – GNSO endorsement slate due to Selectors

6.3 Brief
summary of candidates by SG for the SSR & Whois RTs (Glen de Saint Géry)

6.4 Discussion

Item 7: Vertical
Integration (VI) PDP WG (10 Minutes)

Progress report (Stéphane Van Gelder)

7.2 Timeline

• End of public comment period for Initial Report: 13

• Target date for summary & analysis of public comments: 16 August

• Target date for submission of revised Initial Report to Council: 18 August

• Deadline for submission of Initial Report to the Board for their retreat: 13


Item 8: Registration
Abuse Policies Working Group Final Report (5 Minutes)

8.1 Refer to:

• Final


• Summary of Recommendations


Volunteers to develop action plan for Council consideration:

• Greg Aaron, chair of the RAP WG

• Chuck Gomes, Council Chair

• Mikey O'Connor CBUC-RAP WG member 

• Joi White‪ - IPC CSG 

• David Donahue -IPC CSG 

• Berry Cob - CBUC -RAP WG member 

• Phil Corwin - CBUC -RAP WG member 

• Mary Wong - NCSG 

• Faisal Shah -RAP WG member 

• Fred Felman -RAP WG member 

• Other?

8.3 Note:

• Marika
Konings will provide Staff policy support for this effort.

• An email list is up and running with all of the above subscribed.

• The group will be polled regarding the regular time of the meetings and date
of the first meeting; it may be appropriate to use the recurring time that the
RAP group used.

9: Cartagena Planning (10 Minutes)

Action items from Brussels Wrap-Up Meeting

• Stéphane van Gelder to take the lead, with Glen's
assistance, in preparing the schedule for the GNSO calendar for the Cartagena
meetings in December 2010.

• Glen will follow-up with the ICANN meetings team regarding the following:

o Coffee should be available in close proximity to the
meeting rooms.

o Allowance should be made in the schedule for breaks between all the meetings.

o Make Adobe Connect work better with all operating systems or alternatives
that allow participation from Linux based systems.

o Changing the start time of the Council meeting so that it is no so early.

• Wendy Seltzer will lead a group of the following
volunteers to develop suggested improvements to the running of the GNSO Public
Council meetings:

o Tim Ruiz

o Kristina Rosette

o Wolf-Ulrich Knoben

o Edmon Chung

o Adrian Kinderis

o Others?

• A group will be formed to work on the GNSO Council
interaction with the Board.

o Volunteers:

o Terry Davis 

o David Taylor 

o Jaime Wagner 

o Zahid Jamil 

o Stéphane van Gelder 

o Others? 

o Stéphane volunteered to lead this effort.

• Target
date for completion of work and submission of input to Stéphane & Glen for
schedule planning: 15 September.

9.2 Other

Item 10: Drafting
team for draft DNS-CERT/SSR WG charter (5 minutes)

10.1 GNSO

• Terry Davis (NCA) 

• Rafik Dammak (NCSG) 

• Greg Aaron (RySG, Afilias) 

• Kathy Kleiman (RySG, PIR) 

• Keith Drazek (RySG, VeriSign) 

• Mike Rodenbaugh (CSG, CBUC) 

• Zahid Jamil (CSG, CBUC) 

• Rodney Joffe (RySG, NeuStar)

• Jaime Wagner (CSG, ISCPC)

Status report (Chuck Gomes)

Item 11:
Audio-casting of Council meetings (5 minutes)

11.1 Refer to information sent to the Council list by Marika on 26 July 2010.

11.2 Implementation status

11.3 Additional feedback?

Item 12: Other
Business (10 minutes)

12.1 Standing committee to monitor GNSO Improvement implementation

• Note:
As part of the motion to approve implementation of the OSC CCT recommendations,
the Council resolved to convene a standing committee whose role will be to
monitor, coordinate, and manage the continuing implementation of the various
recommendations emanating from the chartered GNSO Improvements Work Teams.

• Any suggestions regarding how to do this?

1: GNSO Council Voting Thresholds (ICANN Bylaws, Article X, Section 3)

Except as otherwise specified in these Bylaws, Annex A hereto, or the GNSO
Operating Procedures, the default threshold to pass a GNSO Council motion or
other voting action requires a simple majority vote of each House. The voting
thresholds described below shall apply to the following GNSO actions:

1. Create an Issues Report: requires an affirmative vote of more
than 25% vote of each House or majority of one House;

2. Initiate a Policy Development Process (“PDP”) Within Scope (as
described in Annex A): requires an affirmative vote of more than 33% of each
House or more than 66% of one House;

3. Initiate a PDP Not Within Scope: requires an affirmative vote
of more than 75% of one House and a majority of the other House (“GNSO

4. Approve a PDP Recommendation Without a GNSO Supermajority:
requires an affirmative vote of a majority of each House and further requires
that one GNSO Council member representative of at least 3 of the 4 Stakeholder
Groups supports the Recommendation;

5. Approve a PDP Recommendation With a GNSO Supermajority:
requires an affirmative vote of a GNSO Supermajority; and

6. Approve a PDP Recommendation Imposing New Obligations on
Certain Contracting Parties: where an ICANN contract provision specifies that “a
two-thirds vote of the council” demonstrates the presence of a
consensus, the GNSO Supermajority vote threshold will have to be met or
exceeded with respect to any contracting party affected by such contract

2: Absentee Voting Procedures (Council Operating Procedures 4.4)

that are absent from a meeting at the time of a vote on the following items may
vote by absentee ballot:

1. Initiate a policy development process;

2. Forward a policy recommendation to the Board;

3. Recommend amendments to the ICANN Bylaws;

4. Fill a position open for election.

GNSO Secretariat will provide reasonable means for transmitting and
authenticating absentee ballots, which could include voting by telephone, e-
mail, or web-based interface. Absentee ballots must be submitted within 72
hours following the start of the meeting in which a vote is initiated, except
that, in exceptional circumstances announced at the time of the vote, the Chair
may reduce this time to 24 hours or extend the time to 7 days. There must be a
quorum for the meeting in which the vote is initiated.


Local time between March and October, Summer in the NORTHERN


Reference (Coordinated Universal Time) 15:00UTC


California, USA (PST) UTC-8+1DST 08:00

Cedar Rapids, USA (CDT) UTC-6+1DST 10:00

New York/Washington DC, USA (EDT) UTC-5+1DST 11:00

Buenos Aires, Argentina UTC-3+0DST 12:00

Rio de Janeiro/Sao Paulo Brazil UTC-3+0DST 12:00

Dublin, Ireland (GMT) UTC+1DST 16:00

Darmstadt, Germany (CET) UTC+1+1DST 17:00

Paris, France (CET) UTC+1+1DST 17:00

Moscow, Russian Federation (MSK) UTC+3+1DST 19:00

Karachi, Pakistan UTC+5+0DST 20:00

Hong Kong, China UTC+8+0DST 23:00

Tokyo, Japan UTC+9+0DST 00:00

Melbourne/Sydney Australia (EDT) UTC+10+0DST 01:00 next day 


The DST starts/ends on last Sunday of October 2010, 2:00 or 3:00
local time (with exceptions)





Glen de Saint Géry

GNSO Secretariat

gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org




-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/bc-gnso/attachments/20100730/8c724fb5/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Agenda for GNSO Council Meeting 5 August 2010.doc
Type: application/msword
Size: 43520 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/bc-gnso/attachments/20100730/8c724fb5/AgendaforGNSOCouncilMeeting5August2010.doc>

More information about the Bc-gnso mailing list