[bc-gnso] BC members Martin Sutton and Berry Cobb on a workshop panel NOW in TSAVO

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Wed Mar 10 13:20:58 UTC 2010

If you¹re available here in Nairobi, please come to Tsavo now, where 2 of
our BC members are on a panel on Registration Abuse

If you're available to connect remotely, see http://nbo.icann.org/node/8878

BC Members Martin Sutton and Berry Cobb are up there with ICANN staffer
Marika.

The WG Chair Greg Arron (Afilias) is going thru his slides now ‹ same slides
we saw this morning in GNSO Council.  See
http://nbo.icann.org/meetings/nairobi2010/presentation-rap-wg-aaron-10mar10-
en.pdf )

Berry and Martin were WG members, and suggested this morning that Greg
worked to avoid Consensus for considering any abuse that occurs with website
domains.

When Greg¹s done, we have a golden opportunity to lob softball questions and
supporting comments to Berry and Martin.

Slide 24 is particularly relevant:

> No Consensus on Cybersquatting: NewTLD Rights Protection Mechanisms
>
> Supported by 7 members of the RAPWG:)
> The RAPWG recommends the initiation of a Policy Development Process by
> requesting an Issues Report to investigate the appropriateness and
> effectiveness of how any Rights Protection Mechanisms that are developed
> elsewhere in the community (e.g. the New gTLD program) can be applied to the
> problem of cybersquatting in the current gTLD space.
>
> (6 members of the RAPWG:)
> The initiation of such a process is premature; the effectiveness and
> consequences of the Rights Protection Mechanisms proposed for the new TLDs is
> unknown. Discussion of RPMs should continue via the New TLD program.
> Experience with them should be gained before considering their appropriate
> relation (if any) to the existing TLD space.

Executive Director
NetChoice
http://www.NetChoice.org and http://blog.netchoice.org
+1.202.420.7482