[bc-gnso] Re: VERTICAL INTEGRATION WG Update

berrycobb at infinityportals.com berrycobb at infinityportals.com
Mon May 3 13:49:02 UTC 2010

Steve,

This is my own two Cents and I invite the other VI BC members to
comment........

I do NOT think the BC or other constituencies will be tasked to
formally review all models (the number may reach 10 or 11 total).  The
VI WG is building a consensus matrix based upon VI/CO concepts in
addition to an analysis sub-team formed to create a framework for
evaluating the proposals.

I suspect the WG efforts over the coming weeks will be to understand
which concepts within the proposals will form the greatest consensus
and as such boil down to one or two proposals for community review.
It is sure to be some sort of hybrid of the proposals offered today.

As for favorites, the BC members of the VI WG have not discussed this
yet.  I will say that the top 3 proposals seem to be JN Squared, MMA,
& PIR (not in favored order), but this is only my interpretation.

Bottom line, the BC can expect VI WG consensus around a proposal that
is a departure from the current BC Position and most certain an
evolution from any VI/CO we see in the market today.  From my
viewpoint and given the discussions within the VI WG, there will be
several concepts that the BC can support.  Given the varying business
models for new gTLDs and current market forces, change is necessary to
increase success.

Lastly, I have not received any objections to date with respect to
submitting the Aug2009 BC Position statement for the VI Initial
Comment period.  I will touch base with you on the 5th, for formal
submission.

I hope this helps.  Thank you.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb at infinityportals.com
http://www.infinityportals.com
866.921.8891

Berry ? Thanks.  Will the BC soon be asked to evaluate the 9 VI models
presented thus far?

Proposals are listed at:

https://st.icann.org/vert-integration-pdp/index.cgi?https_st_icann_org_vert_integration_pdp_index_cgi_vi_resources

Do you and the BC team on the  VI working group have any favorites
among those, or are we sitting on status quo?

If no favorites, are there elements of any of these plans that the BC
should consider supporting?

Thanks,
Steve

On 4/30/10 9:40 AM, "berrycobb at infinityportals.com"
<berrycobb at infinityportals.com> wrote:

> My bad,
>
> I should have included a link to the 08/2009 position statement.  I
> had a hard time finding it until it was pointed out to me right in
> front of me.
>
> One other correction.....the position statement is from August 2009,
>  not November as I stated below.
>
> http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/Position-08-2009_Registry_Registr
> ar.doc
>
> Berry Cobb
> Infinity Portals LLC
> berrycobb at infinityportals.com
> http://www.infinityportals.com
> 866.921.8891
>

> Quoting berrycobb at infinityportals.com:
>

>> CBUC,
>>
>> As I mentioned in the status provided below, the Initial Comment Period
>> for Vertical Integration closes May 6th.  Does anyone object to
>> submitting the CBUC Position Statement created Nov 2009 as our position
>> statement for this current VI period?  I suspect that we will require a
>> consensus exercise as the WG completes its efforts in mid-May.
>>
>> If I do not hear of any objections, I will advise Steve to repost
>> on May 5th.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Berry Cobb
>> Infinity Portals LLC
>> berrycobb at infinityportals.com
>> http://www.infinityportals.com
>> 866.921.8891
>>

>> Quoting berrycobb at infinityportals.com:
>>

>>> CBUC,
>>>
>>> Attached is a status report for the VI WG.  I invite those members who
>>> also participate on the WG to add or comment on this summary, as I may
>>> have missed a thing or two.
>>>
>>> Kudos out to Mikey O'Conner who has taken the role of co-chair and
>>> moving the WG forward.
>>>
>>> Please advise if you have questions.  Thank you.
>>>
>>> Berry Cobb
>>> Infinity Portals LLC
>>> berrycobb at infinityportals.com
>>> http://www.infinityportals.com