[bc-gnso] Promoting the market efficiencies of vertical integration

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Tue Nov 9 00:51:56 UTC 2010

I used to have a professor at Stanford who used the phrase "utter
rubbish" when he came across something he didn't agree with.

It's sad that the source of this utter rubbish is a Stanford
professor.  It totally misses the point of why silos are bad and
layers are good  in our generation of telecommunications.

Since 1983, we in the US have been making a transition from a
completely vertically integrated telecom monopoly to a horizontally
layered Internet communications system that is immensely more
diversified, efficient, technologically advanced and competitive than
anything that existed in the years of the Bell System.

Just ask yourself about the five best innovations in
telecommunications in the last five years - take your pick - would
any of them been successful if they didn't have one or more layers of
the Internet stack to use as a platform for launching their chunk of
innovation?

Internet entrepreneurs today will look for and exploit market niches,
and once established, do their best to differentiate their products
both vertically and horizontally in order to maximize profits.
Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.  All too frequently,
the niche closes before they breakeven!  But VI is pretty incidental
to other economic factors.

So I don't think this particular bit of "rubbish" is much help to our
own discussions on VI.

- Mike Roberts
    Darwin Group