[bc-gnso] Announcement of agenda/program for Cartagena and notice regarding elections for Council Chair/V.Chair

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 01:10:03 UTC 2010

ANNOUNCEMENT OF GNSO SCHEDULE AND FULL ICANN PROGRAM: VISIT THE LINKS BELOW.
GNSO SCHEDULE: THIS LINK WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH ONLY THE GNSO SPECIFIC EVENTS BUT DOES INCLUDE IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR YOU TO PLAN YOUR SAT/SUN AND TUESDAY
http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/gnso-draft-agenda-cartagena-26oct10-en.pdf
FULL PROGRAM -- SATURDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
http://cartagena39.icann.org/full-schedule
DEAR BC MEMBERS
Now that ICANN has finalized and posted the GNSO and full Cartagena program, the officers and councilors will be able to provide an annotated set of recommendations and requests for volunteers to cover different sessions during Cartagena meeting.
In the meantime, three important announcements to stay tuned for:
House Meetings/Council Chair and V.Chair elections: The Council Chair elections are proceeding. Further to the input of the BC members on last week's call, the BC members support Stephane and do not support Olga as Chair of the Council. The Councilors vote on the Council chair should reflect the BC members input and discussion about their concerns about one candidate and support for another. Zahid was on the call for the full discussion by members.
V.Chair discussions are continuing, as noted in the briefing email provided by the chair, earlier. A call will be held later this week or early next week with the CSG leadership and councilors from the CSG to discuss the V.Chair candidates and strategy.
There will be a House meeting on Sat/Sun, which will focus on election processes for the Board seat. A separate House meeting will be held when there is critical mass of officers and councilors from both SGs.  BC members will be kept up to date on the developments of V.Chair candidates within the SG.
During Cartagena, there will be a House discussion on this matter.  At this point, it is not clear if the election will take place on site for V.Chair. If so, the CSG BC reps will ensure an update to BC Members. On V. Chair, the procedures are yet to be agreed, and that is work in progress with the CSG leadership and NCSG leadership.
Meetings and Contact details during Cartagena: please send an updated version of name, date of arrival/departure, hotel, and onsite mobile, along with your priority topics to info at bizconst.org
Donna will prepare a spreadsheet which only attendees will have, and which will allow us to reach each other. I am aware that a couple of folks have changed hotels so am asking that you just send to Donna.
Once we get past the prep meeting, proposed for Dec. 1, at 10 a.m. EDT, we will no longer post any details of events or scheduling to the bc lists, but will start using meetings at bizconst.org for communications.  Policy discussions and notices about decisions or any remote participation consultations will be posted to the usual list, so that you will not miss the policy or issues discussions, but won't be receiving any notices that are for logistical coordination.
IF you have not signed up for meetings at bizconst.org, please email Chris Chaplow to be added.
AGENDA PLANNING/SCHEDULE TIPS:
Members Discussion of Cartagena meeting: Dec. 1: 10 a.m.EDT/Bridge to be sent out separately.
In the meantime, I have provided some quick planning thoughts for your consideration:
TUESDAY
 BREAKFAST: BC members in attendance are automatically included.  IF you are bringing a business guest/potential member, you must let me know so I can get them included.
Usual time: 8-10:00 a.m.
I have added one potential agenda item: the importance of ICANN partnering with the CSG community regarding its role in the larger eco system of Internet /strengthening and improving ICANN's involvement with business.  IPC AND ISPCP will contribute additional topic.
CSG Agenda is being finalized: I have proposed RAA/WHOIS and MAPO as CSG topics. IPC and ISPCP will contribute topics. We may have guest speakers from staff. The meeting is being coordinated by IPC.
Lunch: BC ONLY:  The BC will provide a working lunch with a guest speaker. I have invited the new CTO, for a get acquainted session. This will not be a substantive discussion but a true get acquainted session.  You will be asked to talk about yourself, your company/organization, and why ICANN matters to you/your membership.  There will be other opportunities to do the issues thing. We are trying to first establish the kind of positive relationship we had with Doug Brent with Akrim. You must rsvp for that lunch. I have reserved lunch for 20 at this point.
If he cannot attend, I'll schedule a different senior ICANN staff person or two for that same purpose.
The lunch is quick, and will be members only.
BC Agenda for afternoon meeting:  If you have a topic you haven't contributed, please email to Chris Chaplow and Marilyn Cade. We will hear from the SSR working team among other topics of relevance to broader BC and ICANN, as well as GNSO policy and GNSO issues. A heavy percent of time will be policy /issues oriented. We will do some /as necessary administrative updates if essential. Remote access will be provided. The sessions will be transcribed and posted.
Wednesday: BC Charter meeting : 1 hour: Members Only. Remote participation will be provided. This session will be a brief walk through of some improvements and clarification sections to the BC Charter. Draft language will be delivered 'just in time'. [sorry, but that is life inside the BC right now]. We will discuss topical areas and potential language. We will not approve language in this discussion period.
This session is proceeded by a NomComm lunch, so you will all find lunch with the NomComm, which will include our own Mike Roberts and Chris Martin, our two appointed reps to the NomComm. The BC will also have a 20 minute slot with our reps on Tuesday, and it is during that time slot that you will have the opportunity to offer your guidance to your BC reps on the NomComm. Chris and Mike are returning to the NC, and so will be quite familiar with the NC challenges.
Note; we haven't had as much interaction with the NC as we would have liked in the past, and I am pleased that ICANN has provided reasonable funding so that the reps can travel to the ICANN meeting to be involved in the community during the meeting, not just after the meeting.
Recognition of past officers: Stay tuned for the time slot for this recognition of past/retiring officers/councilors.
Please review the agenda and program. We will be providing more information on the program once the ExComm meets on Friday to discuss the priorities.
And, we will be looking for volunteers to cover meetings when there are multiple events at the same time.
Marilyn Cade
BC Chair