[bc-gnso] RE: Revised Draft BC Position on Establishing Standard Contract for UDRP Providers

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Wed Oct 20 13:28:32 UTC 2010

Sarah,

I share your concerns.   In fact this type of rigid "contract" language is
what stalled individual ccTLD participation within the ICANN process for so
long. It was only after ICANN adopted an accountability framework document
that more participation/recognition occurred.

I think Phil's concerns can be address without the hard coded "contract"
language. Having dealt with IGOs over the past several years I can tell you
that getting them to sign "contracts" can be a complicated process.
Therefore making WIPO sign a UDRP provider contract is likely to run into
some complications that would likely draw the support/empathy of the GAC. Do
we really want to pick that fight?

Having dealt with WIPO during the past 11 years ago (remember that first
UDRP meeting at Georgetown Sarah/Marilyn - seems almost like yesterday) I
think as a trustee of this process WIPO would be in agreement about ensuring
some  uniformity of the rules. So let's figure how to make them part of the
solution, instead of making them part of the problem.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,

Michael