[bc-gnso] Joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group (DSSAWG) update

Scott M. McCormick scott at mccormickict.com
Thu Oct 28 01:31:01 UTC 2010

All,

Below are a few notes from todays call for the DSSAWG.  If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

To sum up todays call: the WG is still working on drafting a charter.  We should have a final draft in the next few days.

Joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group (DSSA WG)
27 Oct 2010: First conference call - discussion on the Charter draft v5

Main Topics of discussion:
What should come out  of this WG:
- The level, frequency and severity of threats to the DNS
	(Is there a problem with the DNS?)
- The current efforts and activities to mitigate these threats to the DNS
	(What are the problems and how are we working to mitigate them?)
- Are their gaps (if any) in the current security response to DNS issues?
	(A DNS CERT is not completely off the table, but... if needed who is already conducting this
	type of work and who would be best to conduct it?)

Questions that should be asked:
- What is the true health of the DNS?
- Is this about the core system, or everything that happens on the DNS?
- Should we limit this to ICANN's mission?

Other Items:
- We need to evaluate the facts and the need.  We need to come at this issue with NO assumptions nor preconceived notions.
- We shall provide regular feedback and opportunity for comment from the SO's and AC's
- We may allow observer status to those interested.

Next call in two weeks 10 Nov 2010

V/r,
-Scott

Scott M. McCormick