[bc-gnso] NetChoice comment on IANA

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Sat Apr 2 14:54:47 UTC 2011

Steve -

I think this is a misinterpretation of the ICANN
letter.  What I read says to replace the contract
with a cooperative agreement.

This is a good idea and the BC should support.
It is entirely consistent with regular reviews,
ATRT, etc.

The "evil" procurement style contract was foisted
on a very unwilling ICANN CEO and Board in late
98 by DOD/NTIA lawyers covering their backs.  As
ICANN says, it makes no sense.  This is not a
procurement situation, it is basically a public
service/public trust effort, which a cooperative
agreement is designed to support.

- Mike