[bc-gnso] internet threat report

Adam Palmer Adam_Palmer at symantec.com
Wed Apr 13 22:09:24 UTC 2011

I apologize if this is a repeat.  I know I sent the below to some of you individually, but I can't recall if I sent this to the entire BC list.

I think many of you would be interested.  This links to Symantec's web page, but its not product related.

All,

Today marks the launch of Symantec's Internet Security Threat Report, Volume 16<http://www.symantec.com/about/news/resources/press_kits/detail.jsp?pkid=threat_report_16&om_ext_cid=biz_socmed_twitter_facebook_marketwire_linkedin_2011Apr_worldwide_istrxvi>, which highlights how the volume and sophistication of threats skyrocketed in 2010.   The report is one of the most comprehensive sources of Internet threat data in the world.

This report highlights dramatic increases in both the frequency and sophistication of targeted attacks on enterprises;  the continued growth of social networking sites as an attack distribution platform; and a change in  attackers' infection tactics, in which they are increasingly targeting vulnerabilities in Java to break into traditional computer systems.  In addition, the report explores how attackers are exhibiting a notable shift in focus toward mobile devices.

One new aspect to the report this year is the development of the "Build Your Report" online tool<http://go.symantec.com/istr>, where a custom report can be created by selecting only those topic areas of interest.  You can select from more than 50 different metrics of the threat landscape to create a personalized report.

If you would like any further information on this report please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Adam Palmer

Norton Lead Cybersecurity Advisor
Symantec