[bc-gnso] House Judiciary Subcommittee to Hold Hearing on gTLD Program

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Apr 26 15:15:54 UTC 2011

I'm trying to gather that information now, Ron.

This Subcommittee (and others) have held irregular oversight hearings on ICANN, but there is no standard pattern to them. In the past there have been years between them.

My guess is that interests that are unhappy with the new gTLD program and/or current Applicant Guidebook may have encouraged this inquiry and that ICANN may face criticism on the IP protections, its relationships with the US and the GAC, the .xxx approval, and even the ongoing dispute regarding the .jobs registry charter and what it says (or doesn't) about ICANN's commitment to contractual compliance.

But again, that's just a guess, and until I have more feedback and see the witness list I'll leave it at that.

Last thought: While the Judiciary Committee has jurisdiction over IP and competition matters, the Commerce Committee has direct oversight of the Department of Commerce and NTIA, including administration of the IANA contract. So I wouldn't be surprised to see this inquiry spark one in the Commerce Committee, if only to reassert its jurisdictional "turf".

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050