[bc-gnso] RE: Draft v1 of BC comments on latest gTLD Guidebook

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Wed Apr 27 21:46:42 UTC 2011

Steve:

Good work as usual.

But this legacy statement on the URS (p.14) is very much outdated--

The URS is not a rapid process and takes nearly as long as using the UDRP with a higher burden of proof.  The URS provides little certainty: Even if the trademark owner wins by default, Registrant can seek de novo review up to 2 years after suspension. The suspension is temporary and only takes place for “balance of registration” period with option to extend for one year at commercial rates.  The URS places brand owners in a perpetual monitoring situation with no permanent ability to transfer the domain name.  With a 5,000 word limit, the URS winds up being a lengthy process with little certainty for brand owners.

In fact, I think the URS process is now substantially shorter than a UDRP, as are its costs. The standard registrant response time is now 14 days; review (time for filing an appeal) has been shortened to six months. The projected filing fee will be about $300 and the complainant word limit has been cut to 500. On behalf of ICA I am not pleased with all these changes, but the BC statement should be accurate and reflect the present Guidebook. ICANN has even adopted a form of "loser pays" targeted at mass cybersquatters.

As for this statement on p.1 -- RPMs are still substantially weaker than those recommended by the IRT.  --
I would suggest actually going back to review what the IRT recommended and then measuring what's in the Guidebook now. Anyway, if the BC is going to cite the IRT it also should be candid that some of what it is advocating goes beyond the IRT.

For example, the IRT never recommended a domain transfer option through URS in order to preserve a fundamental distinction with the UDRP (as well as to avoid the possibility of reverse domain hijacking through a low-cost, expedited process). Now the Board said in Brussels that it would acquiesce to the GAC request for a transfer option -- but that is not reflected in the new Guidebook language, and the request disappeared from the GAC's recent response on rights protection issues. Perhaps that's because many individuals (including me) spoke out in SF against departing from the IRT position and fudging that fundamental distinction between the UDRP and URS.

Before reflexively reasserting a demand for a transfer option I hope BC members would seriously consider the alternative that I advocated in SF (which I did after speaking with a large number of IP advocates, all of whom reacted favorably) -- which would be to  have a domain on the losing end of a URS action placed on a permanent "do not re-register" list. That would relieve complainants of both continuing monitoring burdens and registration costs for unwanted domains, while preserving a critical distinction with the UDRP and assuring registrants that the URS could not be abused for domain hijacking. I thought it was a win-win when I voiced it in SF and still do now.

Best regards,
Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal

Virtualaw LLC