[bc-gnso] Concerns about the Hotel in Dakar

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Thu Dec 1 19:56:12 UTC 2011

I took a quick look at the ALAC report. Thanks Mikey! I enjoyed the pictures getting to relive some of the best moments of my stay at Les Alamadies.

The pictures and the brief descriptions surrounding them are accurate. I can't speak for the remainder of the report and really don't want to wade through the entire thing. I would describe my stay at Les Almadies like this:

On arrival, I was (not pleasantly) surprised. Fortunately it was dark so I was unable to see some of the more obvious physical failings of the hotel. Fortunately, there were others at the hotel to share our experiences. Tears from crying became tears of laughter as we related the many unpleasant details of our stay.

Breakfast was acceptable and I enjoyed each morning's crepes w/sugar and review of the prior night's "stories".

I would not stay at Les Almadies again, but neither would I write a letter to an African government minister complaining about issues that a US Private corporation is more responsible for.

The question we should be asking, and ICANN should be answering, is why would ICANN *ever* recommend a property in such a state of decline? If this were my first ICANN meeting, I'd have serious concerns about their ability to run a meeting, much less the DNS.

My 2 cents. Sorry for taking up list bandwidth.