[bc-gnso] Change in date for BC Conf. call: Hearings - U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, & Transportation now confirmed for next Thursday

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:21:24 UTC 2011

Dear BC MembersEarlier, our Secretariat asked you to hold the date for the regular BC Call. Something has come up that leads me to move the BC Call to another date -- and Bene, Steve, Chris and I are working on that right now.
 Next Thursday, at the time the BC Call was scheduled, there will be a U.S. Congressional Hearing on ICANN's Epansion of Top Level Domains and some members asked me for the details, and to change the call to allow them to listen in, or attend.
In the meantime, I am also following up with Steve Delbianco on the BC's proposed improvements in the new gTLD Program, and we will come back to the BC members for further feedback.

Apologies for the late change in our call. I am checking on Wednesday or Friday of next week, and Bene will be asking the Officers/Councilors to confirm their availability as options, and will  confirm the change in date asap.
So, no BC call on Thursday. Date options: Wednesday, Dec. 7, or Friday, Dec. 9/to be confirmed asap.
Members may find the Congressional hearing useful to follow, in terms of ICANN's testimony.
In the meantime, details on the U.S. Congressional hearing below, as presently known. Steve or others may have more current details, and will post any corrections to the BC list.
I hear that the following witnesses are possible: Two ANA companies [names when available] Kurt Pritz, ICANNFiona Alexander, U.S. DoC [separate panel] a Registry operator -- possibly PIR

				===========================U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, & Transportation   -- ICANN's Expansion of Top Level Domains

Dec 08 2011 10:00 AM

		Russell Senate Office Building - 253

	WASHINGTON, D.C.—The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation announced today a full committee hearing on ICANN’s (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) expansion of top level domains.  In January 2012, ICANN will begin allowing interested organizations and companies to apply for additional top level domains.  This hearing will examine the merits and implications of this new program and ICANN’s continuing efforts to address concerns raised by the Internet community.

Please note the hearing will be webcast live via the Senate Commerce Committee website.  Refresh the Commerce Committee homepage 10 minutes prior to the scheduled hearing start time to automatically begin streaming the webcast.