[bc-gnso] interesting beta site from Verisign -- info on dropping domain-names

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Fri Dec 9 13:16:35 UTC 2011

hi all,

came across this through Mike Berkins' blog this morning

	http://domaincountdown.verisignlabs.com/index.htm

DomainCountdown has a listing of about 300,000 domains that are going to expire in the next few days, with all kinds of statistics associated with them.

several observations;

-- if you just let the site do its thing, you get a ranked list of names that have preexisting activity -- some of it quite substantial.  there might be an indication that some of these domains are unintended expirations.  the problem that PEDNR was working on solving.

-- i typed a few of our member brands into the list (Verizon, Facebook, Paypal, etc.).  Verizon fared the best, no domains contained the string.  Paypal was in the middle of the pack with 3.  Facebook had 8.

-- i tried my super-generic terms (bar, grill, pub, place, corp) and was surprised at how few names contained those terms.  "bar" had the most -- around 15.

thought some of you might be interested…  your interest, and point of view, may vary.  :-)

mikey

phone 	651-647-6109
fax  		866-280-2356
web 	http://www.haven2.com
handle	OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)