[bc-gnso] CircleID Article on USG's Proposed Scorecard

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Feb 3 19:06:23 UTC 2011

Phil — well written piece, as usual.

But please help me understand one of the  'alarms' you sounded in here.

The USG is saying that TM owners could add typographical variants (and TMs without substantive review) into the Clearinghouse database.    One effect of this would be that registries would send more automated emails form their TM Claims Service — and the USG says this service should continue after sunrise period.

But I don't see how those typographical variants could also be used in URS or UDRP actions, as you suggest in your article.

In other words, does a string entered in the Clearinghouse database somehow acquire legal stature of a registered trademarks?

If not, what's the real harm of sending more TM Claims warning emails to registrants?

Thanks,
Steve

Executive Director
NetChoice