[bc-gnso] FW: URGENT -- Please read the note from me below: solicitation of volunteers for DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group/appointment of one BC member to own BC position

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:21:27 UTC 2011

Members: This is a URGENT reminder of the opportunity to volunteer to be considered as a volunteer for the DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group.
This has been on the ICANN websites for some time, and we have had a designated represenatative, Scott McCormick, on the drafting term for the Charter, appointed by the ExComm, in keeping with our BC Charter for such designated representatives. Scott has agreed to continue as the designated BC representative, who will commit to the time commitment and own the representation of the BC's formal positions and concerns as a member of the WG. The ExComm has accepted that and will so designate him.  Thanks to Scott for all his earlier hard work, and for agreeing to continue.

Send your information as instructed by the email below -- to Julie Hedlund -- julie.hedlund at icann.org. If you would be so kind as to advise the ExComm that you are volunteering, that would be appreciated and we will also keep in touch with Julie.  [You can send any such communications to excomm at bizconst.org and will reach the officers and councilors.]

Individuals have to nominate themselves to be considered.  The deadline says tomorrow.  I want to explain the situation in more detail. It is a little confusing and is different from other WGs.

TIME TO VOLUNTEER: YOU SHOULD DO THAT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, but in all cases by the end of this week. Do it earlier if you can.
I called Julie and  asked for an extension until the end of the week.  The announcement pasted below is from the earlier postings of the invitation/notice from Julie Hedlund, which I am told was shared with community earlier. The original deadline of January 17 is long past. The deadline you are addressing is by end of this week, but earlier if you can.

WHAT YOU ARE VOLUNTEERING AS : You are volunteering to be considered as a member if you meet the criteria established in the Charter/which is attached and which is described below.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE GROUP'S WORK: It isn't quite clear how its work will then be reported into any of the three chartering SO groups: GNSO, ccNSO and ALAC. That will be a further topic of discussion, but it is an important group to the BC's interests.  I did discuss this with Julie and that will be further developed as the group is formed.
There will be three chairs. Each group of volunteers from the three chartering groups : GNSO and ccNSO and ALAC would determine within their own 'members' who volunteer who would be the chair that they contribute to the co chairing. That will mean getting elected by your peers from within the GNSO, as far as I can determine. The Chair will have a heavier work load than the members, as would be expected.

WORK LOAD: This group overall is going to discuss fairly complex and often technical aspects and will carry a pretty heavy and demanding work load.  Keep that in mind when you submit your request to volunteer to the working group.  One of Scott's functions will be to keep the broader BC up to date on the progress and focus of the group, so that there is feedback from a designated BC representative and to advance the official positions of the BC on this topic as they are developed. This is an internal designation and will not affect consideration of any other member who volunteers. The decision for all participants will be made based on their submitted statements.

SIZE OF GROUP: There is no information on the size of the group/at some point, it may become closed to new additions.

INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS OF SSR INSIDE THE BC: These will be continuing inside the BC so that a BC position(s) can be developed. That is work in progress. All BC members will of course be appraised of that discussion as it is scheduled.

Marilyn Cade, Chair, on behalf of the ExComm